With all the sunny days ahead, there will be a lot of discussion about which natural sunscreens and lotions we can use to protect our skin. I decided to take a different approach, and look at what we can put into our bodies that aid in protection against damage towards the skin—specifically from the sun!
Here is a list of my Top 6 Foods that Boost Sun Protection:
6. SWEET POTATOES contain a high amount of beta-carotene (the natural pigment found in most intense-coloured fruits and vegetables), which can help absorb UV light and prevent UV-related free radical damage.
5. KALE is a good source of lutein, which can help reduce redness from the inflammatory response caused from too much time spent in the sun.
4. WATERMELON is rich in lycopene, which is an antioxidant and can decrease oxidative damage in the skin.
3. PEPPERS (red and yellow) are the highest source of vitamin C (even more than oranges!) and are protective against free radicals caused by the sun,
2. WALNUTS contain a large amount of gamma-tocopherol (also known as vitamin E), which can act as an antioxidant to help absorb free radicals from the sun.
1. SALMON is very high in omega 3 fatty acids, which balance inflammation throughout the body, including the skin.
Put all these foods into one perfect meal to enjoy after a hot, sunny day!
Note: Too much sun exposure can cause sunburns, dark spots, premature aging, and if chronic, can lead to skin cancer. However, our bodies need direct sunlight on our skin to create sufficient vitamin D levels, which is important for healthy bones, a strong immune system, and proper hormone balance. Therefore, sun exposure in moderation is key.
Back to News